Saturday, January 3, 2009

Chopping it Up

On my last weekday of freedom before starting my new job, I signed up for a free class at Chopping Block.  Typically classes at this recreational cooking school/store range anywhere from $40 to $1000s of dollars.  I've taken a few classes there previously, and have enjoyed the classes.  Knife skills would be the most essential and favorite class of them all.

Today I took my first FREE class, How to Make Stock.  In one hour, Janet taught us the tricks to preparing the perfect stock to use in soups, stews and sauces.  She made a savory Beef and Vegetable Stew with the Beef Stock she had already prepared...and it tasted so good I went back for seconds.  Simultaneously, she prepared Beef Stock from scratch.  Did you know that you can purchase meat bones from the butcher or grocery store for a bargain price to make your own stock?  I'm going to do it in the near future.  Thankfully she gave us some notes so we could re-create at home.

With my new schedule, I wouldn't be able to take the free classes but here are a few that are coming up in Jan. on the Chopping Block calendar.
Stock Your Pantry on Thurs, Jan 15th and then Sweet and Savory Scones! on Fri, Jan 30th.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Made by Lena